Have you ever wondered why the political system is necessary?

Forum :: Political

Page: 1
Author

View Profile
Post Date: Apr 19, 2010 07:06 PM
If so, you are not alone. Every rational person should ask this question, but unfortunately, such questions are discouraged by parents to their children.

The truth is that the institutions which control our lives - the political, economic, and legal systems, religion, and other institutionalized dogmas - are not needed for the flourishing of the human species. Quite the opposite. In fact, they are barriers to human flourishing.

Have you ever wondered why money is so valuable? Or why it is so scarce? I hope you have, because these are big questions which we should be asking, but again, we're conditioned to think that these are normal circumstances of life. They are not.

If these questions interest you, go ahead and watch this movie, and tell me what you think.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912#

tranqdowner

View Profile
Post Date: Jul 25, 2010 10:32 PM
There are times I feel the same

The intent in 1776 is the Government would be
a sounding boaard to represent thr wants of society

Unfortunate everything has morphed into a group
of Elitetisys that reun the contry in thier own interests

We the citizens allowed the situation to get this way
The way out is to vote

SSSSIPP !!, AAAGHH!!, mmmm... (thump)
paulpicks11

View Profile
Post Date: Jul 26, 2010 02:48 PM
A lot of the essence of this discussion depends on whether one sees the desirable goal for society to be total anarchy . . . freedom for anybody to do anything they want to at anytime. Even a casual student of history knows that the only time total anarchy existed was in the pre-civilized days of the Cave Man . . . and it should be obvious that his daily life had little safety or comfort of any sort. Is that really what we want???

owenowen321

View Profile
Post Date: Jul 26, 2010 03:15 PM
Winston Churchill said that democracy was the worst system of government except for all the others. In this he captured the truth that all systems of government can easily be corrupted but at least democracy places some limited safeguards on the power of the state.

Lord Acton said that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

C S Lewis said that we need democracy not because we are good but because we are bad.

It's very easy to get disillusioned with politics and systems but disillusionment happens for one reason only - we have illusions.

The alternative to government and leadership is anarchy but historically anarchy precedes dictatorship.

I would personally prefer imperfect leadership to anarchy any day - and in a democracy I can so.

Page: 1
Page creation time: 0.004872