Cliffhanger serials from the 1930's + 1940's

Forum :: Sleepy and Bondage Talk

Page: 1 2 3
Author

View Profile
Post Date: May 13, 2010 12:52 AM
I grew up on the Flash Gordon serials which were on tv a lot in the 1950's and 60's. When the cliffhanger serials starting coming out, first on VHS and later in DVD, I began building a large collection of them. As a whole, they are pretty good for action and for sleepy/bondage scenes. Probably the very best one for sleepy and bondage scenes is Nyoka and the Tigermen, aka The Perils of Nyoka. If you buy this one and are not impressed, then there is no need to buy any other cliffhanger serials. However, most sleepy and bondage fans will love it and will want to purchase more serials. If any of you are interested, I can make a list of say the top 10 or so that I think you might like.

PhaintPhan

View Profile
Post Date: May 13, 2010 12:54 AM
Quote:
I grew up on the Flash Gordon serials which were on tv a lot in the 1950's and 60's. When the cliffhanger serials starting coming out, first on VHS and later in DVD, I began building a large collection of them. As a whole, they are pretty good for action and for sleepy/bondage scenes. Probably the very best one for sleepy and bondage scenes is Nyoka and the Tigermen, aka The Perils of Nyoka. If you buy this one and are not impressed, then there is no need to buy any other cliffhanger serials. However, most sleepy and bondage fans will love it and will want to purchase more serials. If any of you are interested, I can make a list of say the top 10 or so that I think you might like.

Hey InvisibleGirlLover--I rented the first Flash Gordon serial from the 30s a while back. In your vast collection, do you have others that feature fainting scenes? (That's my thing, as my handle would suggest). Thanks!

InvisibleGirllover

View Profile
Post Date: May 13, 2010 01:13 AM
Well, if you give me few weeks, I will see what I can come up with. Actually, it has been a while since I have watched most of the 100 or so serials I have in my collection, so I think I will start watching them again or at least the best ones. As I go through them, I will make a note of those with good fainting scenes. I cannot recall off the top of my head any one in particular (other than the first Flash Gordon), but I'm sure there are some.

Yes, I do recall that my favorite #1 serial of all, the original Flash Gordon Space Soldiers, did have lovely Dale fainting a lot and I also like fainting, along with screaming and bondage and crying and sleepy and catfights. Actually, my #1 favorite in the genre is a catfight where the heroine loses to the villainess!

oldslim1

View Profile
Post Date: May 13, 2010 09:13 PM
I love those cliffhanger serials. Used to wathc them in the theaters when they first came out. Had to wait a week in between chapters. If you've got a collection of 100 or so of these, you no doubt have several with the beautiful Linda Stirling. She's a real beauty and was called the Queen of the Republic serials.

InvisibleGirllover

View Profile
Post Date: May 14, 2010 03:39 AM
oldslim1: Oh yes, indeed. Linda was in some excellent serials and Republic had the best serials, at least on balance. They certainly had the best cliffhanger endings. I am not sure which of her serials I like the best, but probably Manhunt on Mystery Island.

PhaintPhan: I finished Atom Man vs Superman and am halfway through Superman which I should finish before I retire tonight. So far no faintings and I doubt there are any in these two serials. Now, thinking of your preference, the original House on Haunted Hill film might have some. I know that the heroine there screams a lot and acts quite helpless. I also have taped very selected portions only of probably 300+ horror/scifi/acdventure/action films and tv episodes with cliffhanger-like scenes in them, along with maybe 100 complete films on DVD and maybe 20-30 television series on DVD. Someday I will take a look at my DVD collection of complete and partial movies and let you know which ones I think have fainting scenes..... Yes, before I forget, one episode of the Little House on the Prairie, "A Matter of Faith", is superb for showing Caroline in danger. She gets a bad infection and is all alone at the house as she fights a bad fever. She goes outside and ends up fainting and falls to the ground. I thought of this because Melissa Sue Anderson was just interviewed on tv yesterday about a new book she wrote about growing up on Little House, etc.

InvisibleGirllover

View Profile
Post Date: May 14, 2010 04:23 AM
PhaintPhan: I just rememnered that the second Flash Gordon serial, "Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars", also has Dale faint once or twice in the caves where the clay people live. Then there is an absolutely fantastic faint in the film "Someone at the Top of the Stairs". A lovely young blond Donna Mills is not looking and she hits her head very hard against a wall or ceiling or support column, forget for sure which, and she collapses to the floor unconscious. If you consider this a fainting scene, then I strongly recommend it. It is one of my favorite cliffhanger-like scenes. Unfortunately, you may find it most difficult to find this movie, as well as the other 39 or so films that were part of ABC's Wide World Mystery and were produced in England in the 1970's. I did buy a complete set of these films on Ebay a few years ago from a dealer in England. They would not play on my old DVD machine, but most all of them play on either my new DVD machine or my computer. However, on balance, these films or anthologies as I was once told, are not actually all that great for sleepy/bondage scenes, though they do have a few.

InvisibleGirllover

View Profile
Post Date: May 18, 2010 02:29 AM
PhaintPhan: Terry and the Pirates, a Columbia serial, has a very frequent screaming heroine and a fainting scene in either Ch. 2 or Ch. 3 when the gorilla breaks into her home.

gytalf2000

View Profile
Post Date: May 18, 2010 08:54 AM
Quote:

And if you like head KOs, if you move ahead to the 1950s, there is the 1955 serial "Panther Girl of the Kongo", with the lovely Phyllis Coates as a mini-skirted jungle babe, getting knocked unconscious several times via various blows to the head! Great fun for KO enthusiasts!

And yes, a "Top Ten" would be fun to see!

PhaintPhan

View Profile
Post Date: May 18, 2010 11:49 PM
Thanks for the info, InvisibleGirlLover! Are you still sifting through your collection?

(Oh, and I knew about the second Flash Gordon serial ... Read a synopsis of all 3 serials that featured a "Dale Unconsciousness Count" ... lol. Her faints in the first series, though, were the hottest.)

InvisibleGirllover

View Profile
Post Date: May 19, 2010 03:58 AM
Yes, yes, my friend. Please be patient. It will take me weeks to go through about 100 serials. I will update you though when I find any with fainting scenes.

Page: 1 2 3
Page creation time: 0.007847