Cliffhanger serials from the 1930's + 1940's

Forum :: Sleepy and Bondage Talk

Page: 1 2 3
Author

View Profile
Post Date: May 19, 2010 04:00 AM
Yes, I agree. Dale's fainting scenes in the first one were exceptional, possibly the best of any serial, though I have yet to determine that and to be fair, I am biased in favor of my favorite serial of all, the first Flash Gordon!

oldslim1

View Profile
Post Date: May 19, 2010 03:28 PM
Quote:
oldslim1: Oh yes, indeed. Linda was in some excellent serials and Republic had the best serials, at least on balance. They certainly had the best cliffhanger endings. I am not sure which of her serials I like the best, but probably Manhunt on Mystery Island.

PhaintPhan: I finished Atom Man vs Superman and am halfway through Superman which I should finish before I retire tonight. So far no faintings and I doubt there are any in these two serials. Now, thinking of your preference, the original House on Haunted Hill film might have some. I know that the heroine there screams a lot and acts quite helpless. I also have taped very selected portions only of probably 300+ horror/scifi/acdventure/action films and tv episodes with cliffhanger-like scenes in them, along with maybe 100 complete films on DVD and maybe 20-30 television series on DVD. Someday I will take a look at my DVD collection of complete and partial movies and let you know which ones I think have fainting scenes..... Yes, before I forget, one episode of the Little House on the Prairie, "A Matter of Faith", is superb for showing Caroline in danger. She gets a bad infection and is all alone at the house as she fights a bad fever. She goes outside and ends up fainting and falls to the ground. I thought of this because Melissa Sue Anderson was just interviewed on tv yesterday about a new book she wrote about growing up on Little House, etc.

oldslim1

View Profile
Post Date: May 19, 2010 03:38 PM
One of the best of the cliffhangers was "The Ghost of Zorro". Sadly there are apparently no good copies of it. They have either been lost or not well stored and allowed to deteriorate. It was made in 1949 and starred "The Lone Ranger" Clayton Moore and a pretty actress Pamela Blake who also starred in several other cliffhangers. I have seen some copies of it but they are very poor quality.

Pamela Blake got knocked out 6 times in this serial. Sometimes got socked on the jaw or got shoved against a wall etc. while trying to help the hero Zorro. Once an Indian hit her in the back of the head with a tomahawk. Really good action and heroine peril. No skimpy costumes, no pretty legs to look at but it was hot for its time and was one of the very best of all the serials. Pamela Blake was a favorite of mine. Good actress.

oldslim1

View Profile
Post Date: May 19, 2010 03:54 PM
One of the best of all the cliffhanger serials was "The Ghost of Zorro" made in 1949. It starred Clayton Moore "The Lone Ranger" and pretty Pamela Blake. She was one of my favorites and she starred in several other cliffhangers as well. Pamela got knocked out 6 times in this serial, couple times from a sock on the jaw, got shoved against a wall, etc. while getting in on the action when Zorro would get in a fist fight. Once she was knocked out in a runaway wagon by an Indian with his tomahawk.

Sadly there are apparently no good copies of this one. It was lost or allowed to deteriorate due to improper storage. No skimpy costumes or pretty heroine were showing but it was hot for its time and to me was one of very best.

I have seen some copies of it but the quality was poor.

oldslim1

View Profile
Post Date: May 19, 2010 03:55 PM
One of the best of all the cliffhanger serials was "The Ghost of Zorro" made in 1949. It starred Clayton Moore "The Lone Ranger" and pretty Pamela Blake. She was one of my favorites and she starred in several other cliffhangers as well. Pamela got knocked out 6 times in this serial, couple times from a sock on the jaw, got shoved against a wall, etc. while getting in on the action when Zorro would get in a fist fight. Once she was knocked out in a runaway wagon by an Indian with his tomahawk.

Sadly there are apparently no good copies of this one. It was lost or allowed to deteriorate due to improper storage. No skimpy costumes or pretty heroine were showing but it was hot for its time and to me was one of very best.

I have seen some copies of it but the quality was poor.

InvisibleGirllover

View Profile
Post Date: May 19, 2010 04:55 PM
oldslim: I do not have that one in my collection.

PhaintPhan: I finished Captain Midnight last nt. The heroine, Dorothty Short, does a huge amount of screaming and is abducted at least three times and briefly tortured by the villain's daughter. Also, she faints in Ch. 7, after briefly being shook by the villain.

InvisibleGirllover

View Profile
Post Date: May 27, 2010 01:46 AM
Blake of Scotland Yard has at least three faints by the heroine - two from being gased(along with others though, not by herself) and one when she is picked up and briefly carried away. However, while the quality of the old serial print is watchable, it is not nearly as good a quality as most. Also, I rate the serial overall as below average and the cliffhangers as well below average.

Now, I did happen to catch one of my favorite 1960's sci-fi movies this week, The Mysterious Island, based on the Jules Verne novel. The younger of two heroines here has an excellent faint, while she is threatened for quite a while by a mutant giant chicken.

leslieannelowe

View Profile
Post Date: Jun 01, 2010 04:29 PM
In the Crimson Skull, Linda Stirling is chloroformed by the hero after having a mind control collar put around her neck. He holds her arms behind her back and holds a bottle under her nose.

In the Batman serial Shirley Patterson is chloroformed in a quick scene after walking out of a fortune tellers office.

PhaintPhan

View Profile
Post Date: Jun 03, 2010 02:58 PM
Quote:

Now, I did happen to catch one of my favorite 1960's sci-fi movies this week, The Mysterious Island, based on the Jules Verne novel. The younger of two heroines here has an excellent faint, while she is threatened for quite a while by a mutant giant chicken.

Thanks for the tips, IGLover. Checked out the Mysterious Island faint on YouTube ... good stuff.

noqueu47

View Profile
Post Date: Mar 02, 2015 12:08 AM
"The Adventures of Captain Marvel" is a 12 episode serial available on Youtube. Average about one KO per episode. At least one gassing of the kidnapped female ingenue in the back of a van. Many punch outs and gun butts to the head including Betty the female heroine :)

Page: 1 2 3
Page creation time: 0.006114