Brenda Starr Retired

Forum :: Sleepy and Bondage Talk

Page: 1
Author

View Profile
Post Date: Dec 30, 2010 08:24 AM
On January 2nd, 2011 the comic strip Brenda Starr will cease publication. While three panel comic strips in the daily newspaper are no longer our main site for sleepy content these comics were the start of it all.

Brenda Starr was a tall redhead with a nice body and great legs. She even managed to get herself knocked out, tied up and kidnapped every once in a while. Always next to Dick Tracy in my paper I used to check both strips every day hoping to see signs of a promising storyline. I know the world's changing and really I'm okay with that. But I want to at least acknowledge this passage with some fondness.

I own one Brenda Starr comic book. The September 1948 issue Vol. 2, Number 4 mentioned in Wertham's Seduction of the innocent. On the cover Brenda's unconscious on a medical table while a doctor and a anesthesiologist work over her. The cover is great. The story inside bears no relationship whatsoever. Such is life.

Goodbye Brenda. It was a trip.

noqueu47

View Profile
Post Date: Sep 02, 2011 10:47 AM
Quote:
On January 2nd, 2011 the comic strip Brenda Starr will cease publication. While three panel comic strips in the daily newspaper are no longer our main site for sleepy content these comics were the start of it all.

Brenda Starr was a tall redhead with a nice body and great legs. She even managed to get herself knocked out, tied up and kidnapped every once in a while. Always next to Dick Tracy in my paper I used to check both strips every day hoping to see signs of a promising storyline. I know the world's changing and really I'm okay with that. But I want to at least acknowledge this passage with some fondness.

I own one Brenda Starr comic book. The September 1948 issue Vol. 2, Number 4 mentioned in Wertham's Seduction of the innocent. On the cover Brenda's unconscious on a medical table while a doctor and a anesthesiologist work over her. The cover is great. The story inside bears no relationship whatsoever. Such is life.

noqueu47

View Profile
Post Date: Sep 02, 2011 10:54 AM
I remember a Brenda Starr strip where she is driving her sports car down a country road. An oncoming truck swerves onto her side an runs her off the road. The truck driver then runs over and puts her lights out with a blackjack.

The head villain of that installment then appears and has a dialogue with the driver of the truck along the lines of "why did you hit her so hard?' The driver replies "you wanted her conked out!".

It appeared in a midweek strip some time in late 60's early 70's. If anyone has access to a Brenda Starr archive.

CowGirlFan

View Profile
Post Date: Jun 24, 2012 09:15 PM
Quote:
I remember a Brenda Starr strip where she is driving her sports car down a country road. An oncoming truck swerves onto her side an runs her off the road. The truck driver then runs over and puts her lights out with a blackjack.

The head villain of that installment then appears and has a dialogue with the driver of the truck along the lines of "why did you hit her so hard?' The driver replies "you wanted her conked out!".

It appeared in a midweek strip some time in late 60's early 70's. If anyone has access to a Brenda Starr archive.

CowGirlFan

View Profile
Post Date: Jun 24, 2012 10:19 PM
Quote:

The installment sequence that you are referring to appeared at the end of July and into early August 1967. The lead up to it began on July 31. She was actually run off the road by two thugs in a car. The day the frames you described appeared, with Brenda getting slugged with the blackjack, was August 03, 1967, which was a Thursday. The sequence you described the quotes from was when the driver of the car, and the villain of the particular story series her getting knocked out pertains to, is pulling her out of her car, limp and out cold, and says to his accomplice "You clumsy fool... You didn't have to hit her THAT hard!" and to which the thug that slugged her says "You wanted her Konked Out!" Holding the out cold Brenda against his leg to prop her up, he hands a pre-written card with Brenda's apartment address on it to her assailant and tells him to take her car to the address and leave it with the doorman. He then loads her into the car and carts her off to his place. She didn't come to until August 06, which was a Sunday, to which her first words as she's coming around are "Oh my poor head. And I'm so thirsty", with the illustrations giving the indication that she was groggy, head spinning and unaware of where she was and she had a throbbing head ache. But heroine Brenda always gives the bad guy his dues in the end, and this was no exception.
I have the sequence starting from the lead in through the knock out and up to August 9, 1967 when she decides she'd better come clean to the villain, as she was working under cover and had dyed her red hair dark and was pretending to him she was someone she wasn't and he was starting to figure out who she really was, but unfortunately I don't have the August 06 color Sunday strip when she came to and the following day, which was Monday 07, 1967. Wish I could find those two missing days to fill in and complete the sequence. Anyone have any ideas where I could find the strips from August 06 and 07, 1967?

noqueu47

View Profile
Post Date: Jul 01, 2012 04:07 PM
Quote:
Quote:

The installment sequence that you are referring to appeared at the end of July and into early August 1967. The lead up to it began on July 31. She was actually run off the road by two thugs in a car. The day the frames you described appeared, with Brenda getting slugged with the blackjack, was August 03, 1967, which was a Thursday. The sequence you described the quotes from was when the driver of the car, and the villain of the particular story series her getting knocked out pertains to, is pulling her out of her car, limp and out cold, and says to his accomplice "You clumsy fool... You didn't have to hit her THAT hard!" and to which the thug that slugged her says "You wanted her Konked Out!" Holding the out cold Brenda against his leg to prop her up, he hands a pre-written card with Brenda's apartment address on it to her assailant and tells him to take her car to the address and leave it with the doorman. He then loads her into the car and carts her off to his place. She didn't come to until August 06, which was a Sunday, to which her first words as she's coming around are "Oh my poor head. And I'm so thirsty", with the illustrations giving the indication that she was groggy, head spinning and unaware of where she was and she had a throbbing head ache. But heroine Brenda always gives the bad guy his dues in the end, and this was no exception.
I have the sequence starting from the lead in through the knock out and up to August 9, 1967 when she decides she'd better come clean to the villain, as she was working under cover and had dyed her red hair dark and was pretending to him she was someone she wasn't and he was starting to figure out who she really was, but unfortunately I don't have the August 06 color Sunday strip when she came to and the following day, which was Monday 07, 1967. Wish I could find those two missing days to fill in and complete the sequence. Anyone have any ideas where I could find the strips from August 06 and 07, 1967?

noqueu47

View Profile
Post Date: Jul 01, 2012 04:10 PM
The local library has newspapers on microfilm. i had made a stab at locating the strip several years ago but now with a date i should be able to home in on it . THANKJS!!!!!

CowGirlFan

View Profile
Post Date: Jul 01, 2012 06:16 PM
Quote:
The local library has newspapers on microfilm. i had made a stab at locating the strip several years ago but now with a date i should be able to home in on it . THANKJS!!!!!

You're welcome. I haven't been to the local library in years, so I'll try to get over there and get reacquainted with it. If I can get copies of the two missing days, Sunday August 6 and Monday August 7, I'd post the whole sequence.
Good luck in your search and let me know if you find it.

CowGirlFan

View Profile
Post Date: Feb 24, 2015 04:21 PM
Quote:

It's taken ms some time to research, but I was able to track down the sequence from 1967 mentioned below in which Brenda was trailed by a couple of thugs and knocked out cold; including the lead up to and why, the money shot, her coming to and regaining her senses. I've restored them and would like to post them here so that anyone who remembers the story line and searching for it can have at least one place on the net where it can be found. But I need some advice in how to post them and and direction in the using the two processes offered on how to make them available. I can put them in a zip file and include in an e-mail, if desired. Any advice would be appreciated.

noqueu47

View Profile
Post Date: Feb 27, 2015 11:56 AM
After you published the dates i returned to the library and retrieved 3 or 4 days of the squence from microfilm. It sounds like you have more images. :)

to post them I am assuming you have hard copy.
If so scan the images to your computer and park them in a file or folder where you can easily find them (desktop perhaps?)
Set up a free account in photobucket
Follow the instructions in photobucket for uploading the images from your desktop to your photobucket album.

Once you have the squence stored on photobucket you can in turn copy them to this site using the "ADD SCENE" TAB at the top of the page. When you go to your photo bucket album and put your cursor on one of the images you may double click to enlarge it.
You will then notice two boxes to the right. one is labeled DIRECT and the other is IMG. I always click on the box marked "DIRECT" that copies the URL of that image and allows it to be pasted to another application such as this site.

Photobucket has fairly extensive built-in help facilities. The other service Imageshack may be equally as good i just haven't used it.

Good luck and thanks for your work.

noqueu47

Page: 1
Page creation time: 0.009055