Is marriage still considered "normal" by society?

Forum :: Love and Dating Advice

Page: 1 2 3 4
Author

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 04, 2009 06:04 PM
Quote:
I would like to add one more idea to this excellent discussion. And before adding it, I want to say that, Red, you have come up with some very important issues on these forums. I sense in your questions a yearning for knowledge, wisdom and understanding -- far above the normal. You seem to have a yearning to know all one can know about fetishes, God, one's self perception, dating, marriage, normalcy, politics and so on. I can't help but feel these questions stem from a certain curiosity and possibly even anxiety you may have about your facination with and love of DID art. Why do those of us who have this facination love it so much? Does our facination make us abnormal or worse weird?? You have chosen to use this excellent comic-book website as a means to open up this discussion, and gather wisdom. No other DID website does this that I know of, and I would like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH and give you a great big high five for it. I suspect all of us who have this facination have had times when we wondered about ourselves and had self-doubt and even guilt feelings about it. Several of those who have posted have already said as much.

Thanks Paul. I agree with your observation. A lot of fetish sites are basically posts that contain "hi, male/20/NY, looking for female." Absolutely no discussion about their fetish. I actually enjoy talking about our fascination, and what makes us unique.

I'm glad that being a father has made you happy Paul. It sounds like you have raised a loving family.

I run Sleepycomics.com
kieli

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 05, 2009 07:28 AM
I was watching an anime once that had this point in a woman's life when she realized that she was barren and couldn't be an normal or ordinary woman. Her solution was that she decided that she must then become extroardinary. I think there is a lot to be said for that. Normal tends to be boring. Interesting people have quirks. Finding someone to love and raise a family with isn't something you have to be ordinary to do. Being probably half Paul's age, I can't say I have the world experience, but I agree whole heartedly with the sentiment. Having a family is a way to make the world a more beautiful place, to connect us all, provided you aren't doing it for selfish reasons. I've met some pretty horrible parents!
Also, in terms of this site, I think it does the whole sleepy movement a great favor. Red when you gave me the address you kept making comments about hoping I wasn't going to get you arrested or don't open it at work...I really haven't found anything I find questionable on here. Now admittedly, I'm not 'normal' or 'ordinary' in any sense of the word, but what I see is an eclectic bunch of healthy people who all share the same fascination. Over the past week, I've been trying to explain the concept to my sisters who keep getting it mixed up with mutilation, S & M, death, torture and just clearly don't get it. I think if I made them read this, they would maybe understand better between the idea of harmless fantasy and serial rapists.

Red (Moderator)

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 05, 2009 08:02 AM
Quote:

Also, in terms of this site, I think it does the whole sleepy movement a great favor. Red when you gave me the address you kept making comments about hoping I wasn't going to get you arrested or don't open it at work...I really haven't found anything I find questionable on here. Now admittedly, I'm not 'normal' or 'ordinary' in any sense of the word, but what I see is an eclectic bunch of healthy people who all share the same fascination. Over the past week, I've been trying to explain the concept to my sisters who keep getting it mixed up with mutilation, S & M, death, torture and just clearly don't get it. I think if I made them read this, they would maybe understand better between the idea of harmless fantasy and serial rapists.

Well...for the sake of your employment I really hope you don't open this site at work . It still has some rather mature content on it. But I do agree, if you just glance at sleepycomics.com, it almost seems like this is a blog about comic books and not some fetish site. If I didn't tell you the true meaning of this site, would you have figured out what it was about?

Now, I have told my brother about this site and his reaction the first time was o_O. But he eventually didn't care. I think men take it with stride (but not all).
I met another woman online who shared this interest, and she told me when her partner found out he totally freaked out!

So I guess the whole purpose of this site is to help people realize that there are others just like you. And to enjoy comic scenes!

I run Sleepycomics.com
Jakken

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 07, 2009 10:50 AM
For me I do hope to get married and have a loving family one day.Getting married is not for anyone or should should be shoved down someones throat if they don't want too. I feel, if a man or woman finds a man or vice versa, and they truly love each other let them get married. But But yeah. I still think getting married is norm.

ILM of JMJ July 31 1988-May 29,2006 Miss you bro.
paulpicks11

View Profile
Post Date: Dec 22, 2009 12:49 PM
Quote:
For me I do hope to get married and have a loving family one day.Getting married is not for anyone or should should be shoved down someones throat if they don't want too. I feel, if a man or woman finds a man or vice versa, and they truly love each other let them get married. But But yeah. I still think getting married is norm.

I'm glad for you, Jakken, that you hope one day to get married and have a loving family one day. Apparantly you're only 21, and that means you have a lot of time, a lot of time indeed. Be not afraid, if you really want it, it will come for you, I'm confident of it. But I still feel there is a wonderful place for non-married persons to have a productive, happy and fulfilling life. One does not have to be married to find high meaning and purpose in life -- too many great "non-marrieds" have already demonstrated that.

Modified on: 2009-12-22 09:52:39
paulpicks11

View Profile
Post Date: Mar 30, 2010 11:06 AM
Quote:
Quote:
I would like to add one more idea to this excellent discussion. And before adding it, I want to say that, Red, you have come up with some very important issues on these forums. I sense in your questions a yearning for knowledge, wisdom and understanding -- far above the normal. You seem to have a yearning to know all one can know about fetishes, God, one's self perception, dating, marriage, normalcy, politics and so on. I can't help but feel these questions stem from a certain curiosity and possibly even anxiety you may have about your facination with and love of DID art. Why do those of us who have this facination love it so much? Does our facination make us abnormal or worse weird?? You have chosen to use this excellent comic-book website as a means to open up this discussion, and gather wisdom. No other DID website does this that I know of, and I would like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH and give you a great big high five for it. I suspect all of us who have this facination have had times when we wondered about ourselves and had self-doubt and even guilt feelings about it. Several of those who have posted have already said as much.

Thanks Paul. I agree with your observation. A lot of fetish sites are basically posts that contain "hi, male/20/NY, looking for female." Absolutely no discussion about their fetish. I actually enjoy talking about our fascination, and what makes us unique.

I'm glad that being a father has made you happy Paul. It sounds like you have raised a loving family.

SINCE YOU STARTED THIS DISCUSSION RED, I THOUGHT I'D ENTER THIS POST AS A "REPLY" TO YOUR LAST ENTRY, EVEN THOUGH IT IS MEANT AS A REPLY TO EVERY ENTRY MADE SO FAR ON THIS QUESTION. I ALSO NOTE THAT IT HAS BEEN QUITE A WHILE SINCE ANYONE MADE A POST TO THIS PARTICULAR QUESTION, SO I'M POSTING IN THE HOPE THAT MEMBERS WILL STILL VISIT THIS FORUM AND LOOK FOR NEW POSTS.

THE NEW COMMENT I WANT TO MAKE NOW IS THIS: I RECENTLY SAW A MOVIE ENTITLED "UP IN THE AIR" STARRING GEORGE CLOONEY (AKA BATMAN, 1999) IN WHICH HE WAS NOMINATED FOR BEST ACTOR. THE MOVIE IS ABOUT A 'CONFIRMED BATCHELOR' (GEORGE CLOONEY) WHO HAS THE STRANGE JOB OF BEING A HIRED PROFESSIONAL TO VISIT COMPANIES AROUND THE WORLD AND "FIRE" EMPLOYEES WHOM THE MANAGEMENT NO LONGER WANTS TO KEEP. (A WEIRD JOB, TRUE, BUT THAT'S THE STORY). IN ONE CONVERSATION LATE IN THE MOVIE, CLOONEY IS TRYING TO CONVINCE A FUTURE-BROTHER-IN-LAW TO GO THROUGH WITH THE WEDDING EVEN THOUGH HE, THE FUTURE GROOM, WANTS TO CALL IT OFF AT THE LAST MOMENT BECAUSE HE HAS "COLD FEET" -- (A COMMON EXPERIENCE, AND SUBJECT OF MANY MOVIES OVER THE YEARS). CLOONEY, A CONFIRMED BATCHLOR HIMSELF, MANAGES TO MUSTER THIS AMAZING ARGUMENT FOR MARRIAGE: HE SAYS, "I FLY ALL OVER THE COUNTRY EVERY YEAR TO A HUNDRED DIFFERENT CITIES TO DO THE WORK I DO. I HAVE NEVER FLOWN IN A PLANE THAT DID NOT HAVE A 'CO-PILOT' NO PILOT WOULD FLY A BIG PLANE ACROSS COUNTRY WITHOUT A CO-PILOT. WHAT THAT MEANS TO YOU IS THIS: "LIFE IS BETTER WITH A CO-PILOT". YOU NEED TO GO OUT THERE AND TAKE MY SISTER TO BE YOUR WIFE, BECAUSE LIFE IS BETTER WITH A CO-PILOT. TRUST ME ON THIS, IT'S GOOD ADVICE." AND CLOONEY'S FUTURE-BROTHER-IN-LAW TAKES THIS ADVICE AND GOES BACK INTO THE CHURCH AND GOES THROUGH WITH THE WEDDING, BECAUSE "LIFE IS BETTER WITH A CO-PILOT"

A LIGHT BULB WENT OFF OVER MY HEAD WHEN I HEARD CLOONEY MAKE THIS SPEECH. I SAID TO MYSELF, I'VE GOT TO SHARE THIS ON 'SLEEPYCOMICS.COM'. IT'S PERTINENT TO WHAT WE'VE ALL BEEN TALKING ABOUT. WHAT ABOUT IT GUYS. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT CLOONEY SAID. LET'S HEAR FROM YOU.

PP11

Modified on: 2010-04-01 21:36:49
lurkndog

View Profile
Post Date: Mar 30, 2010 11:46 PM
Quote:
Do you think it's normal for people to NOT get married, ever?

Yes it's normal! And honestly, there are far worse things than being single (Being divorced with children is an obvious example).

That being said, I'd certainly prefer to be married, particularly now in my 40's. It can be awkward being an older single person. I stopped going to my old church because I wound up being the "old guy" in the singles group there, and I sensed it was making the younger women uncomfortable.

But, you know, if I was married, I would have a lot more worries, and a lot less time. Most if not all of my hobbies would have fallen by the wayside, particularly if I were a father. I probably wouldn't have time to do stuff for this site. So there are benefits to being single.

paulpicks11

View Profile
Post Date: Apr 01, 2010 11:56 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Do you think it's normal for people to NOT get married, ever?

Yes it's normal! And honestly, there are far worse things than being single (Being divorced with children is an obvious example).

That being said, I'd certainly prefer to be married, particularly now in my 40's. It can be awkward being an older single person. I stopped going to my old church because I wound up being the "old guy" in the singles group there, and I sensed it was making the younger women uncomfortable.

But, you know, if I was married, I would have a lot more worries, and a lot less time. Most if not all of my hobbies would have fallen by the wayside, particularly if I were a father. I probably wouldn't have time to do stuff for this site. So there are benefits to being single.

I probably wouldn't have time to do stuff for this site. So there are benefits to being single

Hi. thanks for your post, and in case you were wondering, I do seem to be posting on both sides of this issue. In an earlier post I said that Mother Theresa and Thomas Edison both never married, and they lived highly significant, and no doubt happy lives. I guess Clooney's speech in the movie reshuffled my thinking a bit. But I notice you did not comment on Clooney's speech. Instead you picked up on an earlier post made months ago and chose to comment on it instead. So, it would appear that that means you totally disagree with Clooney's speech in the movie --- is that right? I'd like to hear your response to this. And again, thanks for posting.

PP11

Modified on: 2010-04-21 21:30:31
paulpicks11

View Profile
Post Date: Apr 01, 2010 12:00 PM
Oh yes, I apologize for forgetting something I wanted to say. I am married, have been for over 20 years, and I have no trouble finding time to do "stuff" on this site. My wife likes to watch TV and I like to visit Sleepycomics.com. While she does her thing,I do mine. It's never a problem. So I see no reason to say you would not be able to visit here as often a you like. :)

gytalf2000

View Profile
Post Date: Apr 01, 2010 01:21 PM
Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of singles on this forum who are wondering if they will ever find a partner and get married. Well I've been reading articles online, and I'm starting to notice a trend. People are marrying less and much later in their lives. The divorce rate in the U.S. is also really high. I think there is a tendency now for people to be apprehensive about marriage, and really cautious.

This got me thinking, is getting married and settling down still everyone's goal in life? Do you think it's normal for people to NOT get married, ever?

I think that it is a very good thing that people have more choices now, and do not feel obligated to get married. In previous generations, many people got married just because they felt that they should, or were pressured into it by family, or did not want to seem "odd".

I am certainly not anti-marriage; I know many happy couples.

But I do think that we, as a society, are finally getting away from the "one size fits all" mentality, where people believe that, in order to be truly happy, every single person must find a spouse and procreate. Now, most people probably will wind up marrying eventually, and that is fine (good for the propagation of the species), but they will be more tolerant of others deciding to follow a different path.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Page creation time: 0.007916