Why do the superheroines dress so skimpy?

Forum :: Sleepy and Bondage Talk

Page: 1
Author

View Profile
Post Date: Sep 29, 2009 03:36 PM
Hopefully we will get some interesting comments on this one. Virtually all the superheroines are very scantilly clad. Of course there are those who aren't dressed so skimpy such as Emma Peel/Honey West etc. But the ones we refer to as SUPERHEROINES are all revealing a lot of skin. What do you suppose is the reason for this? I have read that some say it is a distraction to the villain who is fighting the heroines. Do you believe that would be an advantage to the superheroine to be dressed in a bikini type outfit? Or can you think of other reasons for this? Your comments would be interesting.

bisochim

View Profile
Post Date: Sep 29, 2009 04:30 PM
Fan service. I really don't think it's any more than that, haha.

I <3 eyerolls
lonelynerd

View Profile
Post Date: Sep 29, 2009 04:57 PM
Its funny with Power Girl her cleavage is so prominent that reference is actually made to it in the comics. I think there's a Justice League where she walks past two other female Justice League members and one of them says "damn we're gonna need bigger bras".

Sleep peacefully Wonder Woman, you will awake in the Fatherland...
Red (Moderator)

View Profile
Post Date: Sep 29, 2009 06:48 PM
It's because sexy costumes sell more comics. As simple as that.

I run Sleepycomics.com
chlorodon

View Profile
Post Date: Sep 29, 2009 07:08 PM
Red's right. The primary comic book buyer is male. As a veteran of many Comic Cons I can tell you that those of us attending were not prime babe magnets. A well drawn female is like honey is to the bee to us.

Look, superhero comic books are a fantasy. The man is strong, brave, smart and can fight. The women are brave, powerful and can fight. But part of the fantasy is rescuing the beautiful maiden and that is never going away. Honestly, Wonder Woman is virtually as strong as Superman and she gets knocked out all the time(Bless her heart). Scantily clad keeps the male readers attention when the story is lame or contrived.

So a scantily clad superheroine fills a number of male fantasies. This leads to more comic books and video games being sold. And that means more money for the companies who sell that fantasy.

If you're wondering, yes, I just said the same thing as Red in about 15 times the words.

Red (Moderator)

View Profile
Post Date: Sep 29, 2009 07:17 PM
I would like to add something further: I believe that bondage and peril (female peril at least) also sells comics. That's why Golden Age comics and pulps all had bondage on the covers.

We are seeing that less and less today. Instead we get more stronger, triumphant heroines on covers instead of heroines in peril. I actually think that if comic book companies stopped being so politically correct and started putting bondage on covers, we would see a resurgence in the market. I would certainly buy comics if they had more bondage in them.

Unfortunately in this day and age everyone would be up in arms about it. Liberal feminists especially .

I run Sleepycomics.com
Red (Moderator)

View Profile
Post Date: Sep 29, 2009 07:19 PM
By the way, I am moving this topic to the Sleepy Talk subforum

I run Sleepycomics.com
Page: 1
Page creation time: 0.008398