Sleeping Beauty as the First of the Genre?

Forum :: Sleepy and Bondage Talk

Page: 1
Author

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 04, 2009 06:47 AM
So, while I'd say I've had this fascination for a long time, I had no idea there was a name for it until I was introduced to this site. It's amazing, because it's like one of the basic elements to a lot of the stories I read and it looks to me like even the core of some of the stories. Delving deeper into my bookshelves and the concept, I ran across my Colored Fairy Books and thought of Sleeping Beauty. A story of a beautiful, mulit-talented, perfect woman of her times who thanks to an an evil fairy, is rendered unconscious by poisonous injection. She then lays sleeping for an insane amount of time surrounded by brambles, perhaps her body itself is even confined by these ropey plants and eventually is saved by this awesome hero, who happened to be passing through, with a kiss. Love at first sight it's said. What did he love? In the Grimm's version he doesn't even know her. What he knows is she's beautiful, is it perhaps the fact that she is unconscious that makes her more alluring to him? What do you think? Is Sleeping Beauty the first sleepy bondage fairy tale?

Red (Moderator)

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 04, 2009 08:07 AM
Well, I've always said Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney Movie , but I don't think I've seen it in its entirety.

I think you're on the right track here kieli, but I think Sleeping Beauty is just an example of the damsel in distress archtype that was seen in many old stories. The damsel in this case, just happened to be asleep.

I'm going to start ranting now:
The ironic thing is that Disney Princesses are still paraded around as good female role models. And some of the most memorable Disney Princesses were all damsels in distress at one point during their careers:
* Snow White - falls asleep from poisonous apple.
* Jasmine - gets stuck in an hourglass, saved by Aladdin
* Aurora - ditto
* Cinderella - shunned by her sisters (I guess that's distress lol)
* The Little Mermaid - losing her voice.

It requires distress to show strength, but nowadays women characters cannot show any sort of distress otherwise its seen as sexist. Feminists ruined the world of movies and comics.
End rant.

So in conclusion, I think Sleeping Beauty is just one of the many damsel in distress tales we have come to know and love.

I run Sleepycomics.com
kieli

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 05, 2009 07:47 AM
Wow, don't mix Disney with original folk tales. Snow White DIES and is scene in most literary circles at the original necrophilia story. Disney made it all sweet innocent. Little Red Riding hold is an entire metaphor for female sexuality that has changed with the times. The Little Mermaid has some big sadism themes what with the sea princess' new legs causing her the pain of walking on broken glass with every step.

As for feminism ruining the DID genre...I would put it that the comic book companies ruined it by trying to cater to female fans, which really didn't work anyway. There is a ton of marketed towards women stuff where it's always the gentleman in distress. Furthermore, if you read bodice rippers, which are the ultimate female fantasy, while the protagonists are always very strong,unusual women, they still often need to get saved. Women don't want to be all powerful per se, they just want to have as much agency as the male. They want to save as well as know someone is out there to save them. I went to a girl's college, trust me, everyone wanted to see strong female characters, but not omnipotent ones, the hero charging in and saving the girl was terribly exciting, it's just sometimes we wanted it the other way round too.

Buckley

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 05, 2009 08:42 PM
Some very good thoughts going on here. I concur with both of you on many of your points. Had not considered everything you mentioned Kieli. But that makes sense. Being a 'purist' for these things, I lean toward having the damsel rescued. although occasionally her struggling out of her predicament is too hot some times. Feminism definitely ruined many things in our culture. Although Wonder woman is a good example of a strong woman who gets it both ways. and bless her for letting we men see her in it!

MORKOS

View Profile
Post Date: Apr 30, 2011 11:59 PM
Quote:
Wow, don't mix Disney with original folk tales. Snow White DIES and is scene in most literary circles at the original necrophilia story. Disney made it all sweet innocent. Little Red Riding hold is an entire metaphor for female sexuality that has changed with the times. The Little Mermaid has some big sadism themes what with the sea princess' new legs causing her the pain of walking on broken glass with every step.

As for feminism ruining the DID genre...I would put it that the comic book companies ruined it by trying to cater to female fans, which really didn't work anyway. There is a ton of marketed towards women stuff where it's always the gentleman in distress. Furthermore, if you read bodice rippers, which are the ultimate female fantasy, while the protagonists are always very strong,unusual women, they still often need to get saved. Women don't want to be all powerful per se, they just want to have as much agency as the male. They want to save as well as know someone is out there to save them. I went to a girl's college, trust me, everyone wanted to see strong female characters, but not omnipotent ones, the hero charging in and saving the girl was terribly exciting, it's just sometimes we wanted it the other way round too.
The prince didn't kiss Snow White awake, did, he? He wanted to take her home so he could obsess over her. By the way, I can't help but notice that you're a girl.

kodavictimm

View Profile
Post Date: May 02, 2011 07:26 PM
I've often figured that Snow White was not pure anyway, and who's to say one or more of those creepy dwarfs weren't in cahoots with the witch... drug the cutie pie and then have your way with her... Of course the dwarfs would have killed the prince before he could wake her... and the poor girl would still be unconscious... and used nightly by one or more of those little bastards! LOL

Page: 1
Page creation time: 0.005300