Does anyone 'really' read comics?

Forum :: Sleepy and Bondage Talk

Page: 1 2 3
Author

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 01, 2009 03:44 PM
Hmm...this is really interesting. So would I be the only person here who has to be into the story to enjoy the knock out scene? Personally if I'm not caught up in the plot and I don't care about the character, there is nothing alluring about the whole scene. The more I like the person, the more I'm drawn into it, though I find the artwork makes a big difference too. A manga with really sensual art, like all of CLAMP's works, is way more provocative than something like Fumiya Saito's art in Kindaichi.

Red (Moderator)

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 01, 2009 06:08 PM
Quote:
Hmm...this is really interesting. So would I be the only person here who has to be into the story to enjoy the knock out scene? Personally if I'm not caught up in the plot and I don't care about the character, there is nothing alluring about the whole scene. The more I like the person, the more I'm drawn into it, though I find the artwork makes a big difference too. A manga with really sensual art, like all of CLAMP's works, is way more provocative than something like Fumiya Saito's art in Kindaichi.

You know kieli, I actually agree strongly with you. KO scenes are much better when you like the character and know more about him/her. When the scene contains a damsel that is new, what I like to do is include a picture of what she looks like normaly (a full body shot or something). That way people know more about the character and can enjoy the scene more.

Context also plays a role. Knowing a little about why a person is in danger can improve a scene, which is why I sometimes include the page before a peril scene starts with the scene.

On a side note, I don't believe you've introduced yourself kieli!

I run Sleepycomics.com
gytalf2000

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 01, 2009 07:47 PM
Quote:
Personally. whenever I download any comic book, I never read them. Ever. I just look for a KO scene and if it's not there I throw it in the trash bin of my computer. And then on to the next.

Who really reads comics here? I know Red doesnt, but how about someone else.

I replied to the thread a while back, but I wanted to add and clarify to my original post.

I started buying comics when I was around six years old, in 1967, and really started collecting titles on a regular basis in 1971, when I was ten. I enjoyed seeing the sexy heroines getting KOed, for sure, but I also just liked the excitement and action of the superhero genre -- I loved Thor, the Avengers, Fantastic Four, the Defenders, and several other Marvel titles. The characters were fun, and I loved following their monthly adventures!

I experienced a bit of a financial crunch a couple of years back, and really cut back on my buying, but I still enjoy reading comics. The level of excitement that I experienced as a kid has diminished somewhat in my adult years, I must admit, but I still enjoy going to the comics store every Wednesday.

lonelynerd

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 01, 2009 10:50 PM
Quote:

You're right. That's why I'd always consider Ms Marvel, for instance, getting knocked out far sexier than just some random damsel, because she's a character I actually like. Kind of similarly, I think all the Wonder Woman KOs are great in part just because they're Wonder Woman; you know she's the single most powerful woman in the whole DC universe, so having her made powerless is dramatic and appealing.

Sleep peacefully Wonder Woman, you will awake in the Fatherland...
kieli

View Profile
Post Date: Nov 02, 2009 06:47 AM
Oh, that's right, I haven't introduced myself. What am I supposed to say? This is only the second forum I've ever tried, so I'm afraid my etiquette is very shoddy!

In regards, to what lonelynerd was saying, do you think that's why American comics have such long runs? I mean I read primarily manga, which runs for about about 10-25 graphic novels. There are some beast series that are over 50 or 100, but that's rare. The story ends, you move on and get to know a whole new world and characters. However, from an enjoying damsels in distress aspect, maybe that's a bad formula, because you have to form a whole new bond. If you're fond of Wonder Woman you have an infinite array of material, while if your favorite character is in Yuri, there's only 28 books of Red River. I would think just sheer volume, Wonder Woman would be more exciting.

Page: 1 2 3
Page creation time: 0.008289